↓ How to apply
- Java/Spring Enterprise Software Developer
(all skill levels)
- Bethesda, MD.
- Full time / permanent.
1099/C2C or W-2.
- $55-$80/hour on a 1099/C2C, depending on experience.
Please inquire directly about corresponding W-2 salary.
- Travel required
- Limited work-from-home on approval.
We're looking for a Java/Spring developer to
join the team that produces the tools, services and
web-based applications for some of the central enterprise
systems of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
If you've never worked as part of a large,
mission-critical software development shop, here's your
chance to get hands-on experience in the production of an
immense software and data portfolio. We have a mature
process with dedicated requirements analysts, software
architects, integration testers, operations staff, security
consultants and user support.
The environment is fast-paced but sane: everyone is
encouraged to have a life outside of work. The
people -- both contractors and Federal managers -- are
supportive and great to work with. And since many
of the Federal managers rose up from the ranks of
technical people like you, you'll be working for
knowledgeable, dedicated folks who truly understand the
technical challenges you're facing, and are even able
to lend a hand at crunch time.
As a plus, you'll be assisting the NIH in its central
mission: managing the medical research grants that may
someday lead to new treatments and cures. If you want to do
work that truly matters -- work that makes a positive
difference in the world -- then we want you on board.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop, document, and test the core components
of a large Java/Spring enterprise system: web applications,
web services, and reusable libraries.
- Design and implement any necessary database objects and
- Work with requirements analysts, architects, and
integration testers to ensure the quality and integrity
of the developed code.
- Work with application developers on other teams to
assist them in consuming and testing the code you develop.
- Participate in design and code reviews, as well as
any necessary team meetings.
- Provide production support as needed.
- Technical requirements
- Either a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and 5 years related
technical experience, or a Master's Degree in Computer Science and
3 years related technical experience.
- Java software development skills (minimum 3 years professional
- Java 5 or later.
- Servlets and web development frameworks
(especially Spring MVC/JDBC/TM, Struts, JSPs and taglibs).
- Common GoF design patterns.
- SQL and relational database schema design experience (minimum 2 years
- Ability to produce and understand basic UML diagrams.
- Other requirements
- Excellent communication skills.
- A desire to work with other developers in a team environment.
- Position is at a government site and requires a Level 5
clearance (Public Trust, Moderate Risk): candidates with
no previous investigation and approval must undergo a
National Agency Check and Inquiry Investigation plus a
Credit Check (NACIC), a Minimum Background Investigation
(MBI), or a Limited Background Investigation (LBI).
Failure to pass these checks will result in a withdrawal
of the offer of employment.
- Big pluses
- Spring Framework, especially Spring/JDBC, MVC, and Transaction Manager.
- Struts Tiles/Apache Tiles.
- Web services technologies: CXF, SOAP, Axis, experience with RESTful services.
- Client-side technologies: JQuery, JSON, AJAX.
- Unit testing frameworks: JUnit, HTTPUnit, DBUnit, Cactus, JProbe, etc.
- XML parsing frameworks.
- Oracle 11g, especially Oracle PL/SQL
- Tomcat web application server
- Section 508 compliance techniques.
- Experience writing reusable software components, especially
contributions to Open Source projects.
- Technical writing, illustration, and/or presentation skills.
- Eclipse IDE.
- ClearCase / ClearQuest.
- PL/SQL Developer.
- Ant (creating/editing ant files).
- Enterprise Architect.
- UNIX/Linux, Korn/Bourne shell scripting.
- How to apply
To apply, you will need to take
this on-line test
on the Interview Zen website. Important: if you have already taken this
exact same test (with shapes and students) in the past month, and you were interviewed by someone, then you have already applied for
this particular position: Please do not apply again.
When you are done, please send an email
with the following:
- 1. Your full, legal name.
- 2. The job you're applying for (#201307).
- 3. A link to your online test results (on the Interview Zen site)
from the on-line test
- 4. Your phone number, and the best time to contact you.
- 5. An attached resume, or a link to a resume, in any of the
following formats: plain text, HTML, PDF, .odt, .rtf or .doc/.docx.
- 6. (Optional) Anything else you want us to know about you.
Failure to provide the required information above may cause your
application to be rejected immediately.
- During the interview process, be prepared to
- Answer technical questions on Java, SQL, relational database schema
design, and any technologies you have listed on your resume.
Seriously: we're not kidding about this.
- Demonstrate your understanding of object-oriented programming
and design concepts.
- Produce some simple Java code or database designs on-the-spot
to demonstrate your proficiency.
- About us
Zeegee Software (zeegee.com)
is a small software consulting company based in the
Washington D.C. metro area. Founded in 1997, our primary
mission is to support the science and communications
industries. We have built systems for Hughes Aircraft,
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center, Intelsat, and the National
Institutes of Health, and we specialize in Java, Perl,
Linux/UNIX platforms, web-based solutions, configuration
management and information design. Zeegee Software actively
supports the Open Source Initiative, mostly through creating
and supporting open-source tools for the developer
It is the policy of Zeegee to make personnel decisions
without discriminating on the basis of race, color, creed,
religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, sexual
orientation, citizenship status, national or ethnic origin,
or any other protected status. However, we regret that
we cannot currently offer H-1B sponsorship.
The National Institutes of Health (the work site
for this job)
is the primary Federal agency for conducting and supporting
medical research. It awards and manages tens of thousands
of grants every year, to more than 300,000 researchers at
over 3,000 universities, medical schools, and other research
institutions in every state and around the world.